Saturday, September 13, 2008

Recovering a Lampshade

A few people have asked me about the lampshades I have in my house and whether or not I bought them like that or recovered them. Most all my shades are ones I have recovered. As you probably know from looking at my blog, I love fabric and different patterns. If I have a lamp with a solid colored shade I feel compelled to change it. Maybe I just love to have an excuse to buy some cute fabric to put on something. The good thing about recovering shades is that it doesn't take much fabric and doesn't cost much money. The money part is always forefront in my mind because I like to do things as cheaply as I can. O.K., now here's my attempt at trying to explain how to recover a lampshade. Be patient with me and feel free to ask me about anything you don't understand!

1. Materials needed: shade, 1/2 yard of fabric, scissors, hot gluegun
For this project, I am using an old, cracked shade I got at a yard sale, but most of the time I use the self-adhesive shades. I buy them from Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Joanns. I am using the pattern off of one of the sticky shades I've done because the two are about the same size. I use this pattern for most of the shades I recover because most of them are about this size.


2. Lay the pattern on the fabric and cut it out. You may want to trace around the pattern with a pen and then cut it out.


3. Line up the fabric on the seam on the back of the shade and glue down along the edge.


4. Wrap the fabric around until it meets and glue down the edge, overlapping a little bit.


5. Leave about 1/2 an inch of fabric all the way around the top and the bottom. Trim it if you have too much excess fabric. Then make tiny cuts around the top and bottom flap of fabric and glue down. The cuts allow the fabric to lay down better and not get wrinkled and bunched up. The only places that have been glued are along the back seam where the fabric meets and around the top and bottom edge.



6. You can use trims around the top and bottom if you choose. I didn't on this one. Trims are good for hiding any imperfections.


I think it looks even better on this lamp I bought at a garage sale today for $1.


Here are a few other recovered lampshades around my house. If I get tired of one, I'll just rip the fabric off and redo it!




Be on the lookout at garage sales for lampshades. The ones I see are usually under $1. Get a self-adhesive one to start off with and keep the pattern to use for future projects. Obviously, you will have to use more or less fabric depending on how big your shade is. For the bigger shades I've done I'll just wrap fabric around it and cut it until I have the basic shape and then glue it down. I hope this all made sense to you. I wish I could just have y'all over for a lampshade redo partay! Wouldn't that be fun? You better let me know if you try this and I will want to see pictures so I can check your work! Hope y'all have a great rest of the weekend!

32 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh how fun. Thank you for sharing this. Your lamps are beautiful. I will have to try it on mine. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Cheryl

Annie said...

You know, that is a much better way to do it. I have always used spray adhesive all over the shade, pretty much making it permanent. I will try it your way next time. Thanks for simplifying it for me! All your shades are beautiful.

Michelle said...

Angie,
I LOVE your lampshades!What a nice way to personalize. Thanks for showing us!
Michelle

Emily said...

I started doing one last week for my daughter and haven't finished yet. I have my pattern cut and my fabric ready. You've motivated me to finish it today!

emily@remodelingthislife

Kathleen Grace said...

I have been dying to do this but have never done it before and so I kept putting itoff. Thanks for the instructions, I'm going to try it today!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and will definitely be trying it! Thanks for sharing. What a great tip! :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

Wow....I love the shades! The button border is so fun and the fringe is the best. They look Great! I am looking at a very boring cream shade right now..maybe I need to fringe it up!

-Sandy Toes

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Thank-you SO much for posting this "how to". Just yestereday, I found an adorable lamp and shade at Goodwill for $3.99.

However, the lampshade was one of those that has the 6 pieces around it.....so I craftily used my hot glue gun to glue each panel. It was a job, but it turned out super cute.

I reused the adorable trim that was on the original shade as it match my favorite (red/cream toile) fabric that I used!

I LOVE your blog....and you are inspiring me....

AJ said...

I'm going to give that a try! You make it look so easy:) Love the fabrics you chose too!

Melissa said...

Angie,

Thank you so much for sharing this creative and inexpesive idea. I want to try it right away. I love fabric. I can spend hours just walking around a fabric store.

Have a great Sunday.

Melissa

Michelle said...

Angie,
Can you email me from my webpage
'email me' link? I want to reply to what you wrote on my blog.
Thanks!
Michelle

Carry Grace said...

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing this.

Mimi Sue said...

If you had a lampshade party I'd bring the brownies! Thank you so much for the tutorial. I have a few that are crying out to be made over. I'll show you when I'm done... Mimi

Anonymous said...

oh how I love projects. Used to do them all the time, just got out of the mode. You.ve inspired me to do something to my old old shades. Where do you get the adhesive lamp covers. Never have seen that.


Chris

Shannon said...

So cute!!! I love all your fabrics. I have never done this but I need to try it!!

Jessica said...

I do lampshades too! chandelier shades are fun! Yours are beautiful!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Angie,
I am so gald you stopped by :)
Let's be Freinds :)
I love your suite case dressed in Fall..that's a great idea and thanks for showing me/us how easy it is to cover a lamp shade..
Yes, going to garage sales is almost an addiction :) and we do love estate sales. I'll be back to see what you are up to.
Warmly, Deb :)

Free Art Printables said...

Love the lamp redo!

Sue said...

I love your lampshades and am going to try this myself. It seems easy with your good instructions. I'll let you know when I try. THANKS!!!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I made some fabric pumpkins recently and posted the site where you can get that tutorial.

Thanks again.

Trixi said...

Oh, you did such a great job!!! I love this idea. I need two great lamps for my mantel. I will now be on the lookout.

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

I am so glad you showed this. I have always wanted to try this and have just been a little shy of trying it! Beautiful house and lampshades! We will all probably show pictures now of our "attempts" at this. I hope mine turns out good!
Thank you and love your blog!
Blessings,
DEbbie

ElizabethClare said...

I'm definitely in the market for a lot of "new" lampshades. I've been trying to keep an eye on garage sales for the bases. Love the beautiful fabrics you chose!

Blessings to you and yours,

Georgia Girl said...

This looks so easy. I actually think I could handle this. Thanks for the tips!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Such cute lamps! Love the fabrics you chose :) And I'm LOVING the suitcase with fall decor in it...such a great way to display!!

I'm finally back from Junk Bonanza trip, and I'm posting pics all this week, so come check it out if you can :)!

Katie said...

Adorable, I love them, your great!! Thanks so much!

Wendy said...

Hooray! One of my favorite tricks. I have a few of these around my house too!

Marie said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I love the material you used for the newest lampshade a LOT! Very pretty.

Em said...

I saw those shades at JoAnns and wondered how hard it was to do... you make it look so easy! I think I am going to try this now!!

Darlene said...

I LOVE your lampshades. Thank you for the tutorial....I think I could do that!! CUTE, cute!!

Connie said...

Hi Angie,
Love your work with the lampshades. I especially like how easy you made it look. I did one, and had it full of pleats -- not cute.:-(

You must have a ton of energy to do all this and post it, too. I have enjoyed reading your blog and your projects. You do a great job !
Connie

Lisa Montsion said...

I love how you made your own lampshade. I think that's way nicer then buying one.

lisa