Tuesday, September 23, 2008

My Feelings on Circuses



I am going to do a post today about something other than decorating. I hope you don't mind and I hope you'll take the time to read what I have to say. The circus is here in my town for 2 days - Monday and Tuesday. I hate when it comes because I get depressed and also very angry. I believe circuses exploit and abuse animals all in the name of "entertainment". I have read lots of information on this subject and learned things that I almost wish I didn't know. These animals are trained by abusive methods in order for them to do stupid tricks totally unnatural to them. They are confined most of the time and shipped on trucks (I doubt the trucks have heat or AC) from town to town. What kind of life is that for any animal, much less a huge wild animal like an elephant? There have been all kinds of documentation recorded showing abuse taking place and nothing seems to happen and circuses continue to operate. There have also been many instances where animals have gotten loose and hurt or killed people. I think they had had enough and were just trying to escape. Who speaks for these animals? Why don't the laws protect them? Why don't people realize this abuse happens and not support it? I get all upset and worked up because I just want people to have some compassion and take a stand. I did something today I have never done. I made a sign that said "Circuses are no fun for the animals! Please don't support animal abuse!" and stood on a busy street next to the Mall where this circus is and held it up for the passersby to see. I was really nervous at first, but got more calm the longer I was there. It made me feel good, like I actually did a little something. Maybe I made just one or two people go home and get on the Internet and research circuses and decide they are never going to go to one. I am going to tell my son about circuses and why we will not go to them. My sweet husband feels the same way I do. I hope I didn't bore you or have you rolling your eyes and thinking I'm a crazy chick. I have always had a love and compassion for animals for as long as I can remember. My mom says I care about animals more than I do people. I can't help it. It's just the way I am and I won't apologize for it. Thanks for letting me vent!

* Google circuses for more information. The Humane Society has a great website to check out.

24 comments:

Shell in your Pocket said...

It would not surprise me that "abuse" is going on! Thumbs up for standing up for your beliefs!
-Sandy toes

Anonymous said...

You are truly a good person. And to stand there all alone for what you believe in is courageous.

The Hinesley House said...

Hello Angie! Thanks for the comment on my blog. Looks like we do have alot in common. I read your blog and you have some of the neatest decorating ideas. I just love the screen door on the pantry. How cute is that! After reading your blog I realized I need to get my rear in gear and start decorating my home more. That is why I love reading all the blogs so much, it gives me inspiration and alot of great decorating ideas. Thanks again. Stop by my blog anytime!

Unknown said...

I can't believe the circus is still in existence! I agree with you and applaud your actions! I'm off to do some research on the internet.

This is my first comment on your blog. I really enjoy reading about your decorating. I have you listed in my favorites so I can come back and see what you are up to!

joelandbecca said...

Way to go! I am proud of you for taking a stand. Thank you for this post. I have never been to a circus-they don't really appeal to me and I never knew why. Now I never will. I did not realize that about inhumane treatment but it makes complete sense. Thank you for educating me.

I love that you love animals. I am so worried about our littl Buster now that I am pregnant. We have become one of those couple were he is like our baby. Trying to see how I can help him and balance the situation once we have a baby. That probably makes me seem crazy!
Have a good one! Keep up the good fight!

Katie said...

Good for you, it is sick what they do and it is all to make money. I have never heard anything good about them. I hear they charge you more for better seats way more, they have expensive crazy expensive food,and they are dirty. I saw a 20/20 or something about the elephants from the circus and how smart they are. They remember abuse and that is why they go crazy, they are angry at the trainer. I think Zoo's are completly different then the Circus. Good for you!

ROXY said...

I completely agree, it's cruel and unnatural!

Queen Bean said...

So proud of you for holding up that sign! Deana

Melissa Martin said...

I'm with you on the circuses. I refuse to bring my kids to one because of it.

Marie said...

No eye rolling from me!! I agree with you 100%! Good for you for standing up for what you believe in. More people should be so brave!

Anonymous said...

I agree w/ you, too! I've never taken my children to the circus for exactly these reasons you stated.

Those elephants break my heart. :(

Erin said...

I actually feel the same way. Hubby always wants to go when it comes into town, but I am vehemently opposed (and luckily, he supports what I believe). I would never have the guts to do what you did today- I applaud you for standing up for what you believe! You are not alone!

Nicole said...

Wow, I didn't realize a lot of that went on. Good for your for standing up for your beliets even when it takes you out of your comfort zone.

Unknown said...

Hi Angie! The moss ball came like that. Just a ball of moss. Im sure you could make one though. Im to lazy so I just bought mine. Take care~

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I absolutely agree with you. I have hated circuses for some time and even posted a big post about it on my facebook site. I'm not sure if you have been to this website (http://api4animals.org), but it is an amazing wealth of information on circuses. In fact, this organization is going to file a lawsuit against Ringling Brothers and Barnum Baily circus in just a couple weeks. The amount of abuse and violations alone that this circus has done is appaling. It's sick how many animals have died (yes in unheated/ac equipped cars). You can read about all of the violatioins against a few circuses in the past few years (like since the '90's.) A lion died as they crossed Death Valley due to lack of air. Sick. Just sick. And the elephant abuse. Ugh...don't even get me started. When you understand the activity of these animals in the wild, you can recognize why circuses are so wrong. An elephant travels 25 miles (!!!) a day in the wild. How can this possibly happen in captivity? Where in nature do you see animals standing on their head or jumping through rings of fire or performing outrageous stunts. You don't. Ugh, I hate circuses! I'm actually going to sponsor an elephant for my 2 year-old neice for Christmas this year bc I want to put my money where my mouth is. I'm glad to hear that there are others out there who feel this way. Keep it up! Check out this website and pray that Ringling gets taken down.

http://www.api4animals.org/a_campaigns.php

http://www.api4animals.org/a1a_circus.php

http://friendsofanimals.org/animalfreecircus.html

Sorry for the long post, but I'm passionate about this.

Gypsy aka Tam said...

I applaud you for taking a stand. I went to a circus once in my life when I was about 5 years old. I hated it and was crying and my parents and I ended up leaving way before the show ended. I never had any desire to go back and my children have not gone to a circus while growing up for all the reasons you stated.
Tam

Mimi Sue said...

I refuse to go to the circus too. Thanks for speaking up. Rodeos are almost as bad. It is so sad what these animals have to go through. I love my animals as much as I love my kids. Weird? I don't think so. Mimi

Mimi Sue said...

PS where did you get the little gadget about not breeding pets? I'd like to get one for my blog. Mimi

cherry said...

Wow....you have really impressed me. I love animals too..but never thought about the circuss. I don't go to them for fear of the clowns ...dont like them...ewww. I think that is awesome that you did that. Wow. cherry

Michelle said...

Good for you for standing up for what you believe!

Marie said...

Angie- I added the animal rescue button today after clicking on your button. :o) I had one a while back but it wasn't right. Thanks for the reminder to keep making people aware of the situation!

Trixi said...

Angie, I am seeing this post late. I wanted you to know that I agree 100%. I have never taken my children to the circus nor will I ever. I don't like the zoo much more because it is not their natural habitat but I do think the animals in the zoo have a much better life than the circus.

Anonymous said...

Angie, I'm in love with your blog and now I'm in love with you! I just came to say thank you for leaving a comment on my "repurposing Christmas cards into ornaments and gift tags," but I got hooked on your blog and have been sitting here drooling over your house and going back through all your older posts. When I got to this one about circus animals, I had to leave a comment to say I wish there were more people like you!! Bravo! Now I'm going to go add you to my blog so I can come back later and read even more back posts!... Donna

BugnLVoe said...

I completely agree with you. I have not been to a circus since my daughter was 5 years old and she is 21 now.