Monday, September 22, 2008

A Crafty Weekend

I was a little crafty this weekend. I put some fall stuff on my dresser in my living room. I added some leaves to my birdcage lamp and made a fleur de lis pumpkin topiary. I saw on someone's blog (sorry, can't remember who) how they painted on a pumpkin , but had trouble because the stencil wouldn't lay good on the curved surface. So, that gave me an idea. Did I use paint to do the black fleur de lis? Heck no! I used a Sharpie marker! I laid the stencil on the pumpkin, traced it with a pencil, removed the stencil, and then filled it in with the marker. So easy!!! I was so excited about how good it turned out that I also put one on a planter. Now I am looking for other things around the house to add a fleur de lis to! I have lot of stencils and using the Sharpie is so much easier and less messy than paint. I also added some clear saying stickers to two more plates. I am still working on my mantel, just can't seem to get it the way I want. I will show it to you when I'm somewhat satisfied with how it looks. Hope everyone has a great Monday!








18 comments:

Katie said...

How neat, great job!! I love all your plates too.

Bamawhitney said...

Love the black Sharpie! I did the same thing--though I did buy the Sharpie Paint Marker! Love your site and ideas!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Hey this turned out great! You have just got to do more, somewhere!!! I love those Sharpie Markers and used one to mark a pumpkin face on a shovel I spray painted orange. It was so much easier than painting. I really like your plates, that little tablescape has got it goin' on girl!!!
Blessings,
Debbie

Shannon said...

Love the little guy in the mirror! :)

I love the idea of putting those quotes of plates!! Everything looks so great!

AJ said...

I bought a platter at Goodwill today just so I can put a rub-on or a sticker like you have done. A couple of months ago I put some rub-ons on the inside of a few small bowls. It turned out easier than I thought it would. Wish I had me a fleur de lis stencil. I like what you have done with it!

Julie said...

These look great I can't wait to try the plate thing. now I'll have to make a pumpkin:) I love your tablescape it looks great!
Julie

Shell in your Pocket said...

How CUTE! I love the white pumpkin...I love it up like that! That plate is great...do you sell things? Hee hee!
-Sandy toes

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Well your pumpkin turned out better than mine - even though I ended up using a sharpie since the paint one smeared. Love the quote on the plate!

Manuela

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Hey...thanks so much for the tip about stenciling on a pumpkin. I'm getting ready to do the B O O on three white one like everyone else. : ) I also did a new project over the weekend. : )
M.L.

ROXY said...

ooh, love the pumpkin topiary!!

Queen Bean said...

Ooh, the sharpie and stencil mix is a great idea. I was so inspired by your lampshade tutorial that I went to Joann's today for supplies and recovered those self adhesive shades for my chandelier. If you have a sec hop on over and check them out. Deana

Michelle said...

Everything looks great. I just love those plates you have been doing. I bought some scrapbook quotes, now I just have to do something with them! You inspire me!

Marie said...

Beautiful! I LOVE that birdcage light. I may steal that! :o) FUNNY about using the black sharpie instead of paint. I bought paint pens to do things like that, but the sharpie works better! Doesn't that figure?

cherry said...

I love my sharpies too. You have better control..especially if you are like me and can't paint worth a hoot. Nice vignette! Love your little guy peekin from the mirror. cherry

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

The fleur de lis looks so great! What a good idea to use a sharpie. Gives you so much more control which is nice on uneven surfaces. Thanks for the idea! :)
Carrie

Wendy said...

That looks great...I love your little man peeking up in the mirror!;-)

Deb said...

Really cute ideas. Love the quote on the plate, and nice use of a sharpie.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Love your plates-I am going to try that...